hosted by the Broke and Bookish
For this week’s Top Ten Tuesday we were asked to pick any Back to School related topic. We decided to do a mix of favorite required reads we enjoyed plus a few books we’d like to suggest to replace books.
Kelly’s Favorite Required Readings
1. The Giver – Lowis Lowry
2. To Kill a Mocking Bird – Harper Lee
3. Their Eyes Were Watching God – Zora Neale Hurston
4. A Doll’s House – Henrik Ibsen
5. The Witch of Blackbird Pond – Elizabeth George Speare
Lauren’s Favorite Required Readings
1. A Separate Peace -John Knowles
2. Number the Stars -Lois Lowry
3. Sideways Stories fro Wayside School -Louis Sachar, Adam McCauley
4. Bud, Not Buddy – Christopher Paul Curtis
5. I Heard the Owl Call My Name – Margaret Craven
(Sorry guys Melissa did not love any required readings)
Books We’d Add to the Curriculum
1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins or 2. The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken – We’d choose this over Lord of the Flies, The Giver, and 1984.
3. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher – Addresses bullying and suicide
4. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell – Addresses domestic/child abuse, body image, bullying,
5. Under a Painted Sky OR 6. Out Run the Moon by Stacey Lee – unlikely friendship, survival, diversity, loyalty
7. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli OR 8. If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo OR 9. More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera – friendship, identity, LGBT, coming of age.
10. Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand – family, anxiety, depression,
Bonus Books: Salt to the Sea or Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys, The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, Alanna by Tamora Pierce
What did you guys do for the Back to School freebie? Let us know in the comments below!