Title: Water’s Wrath, Book Four of Air Awakens
Publication Date: April 26th, 2016
Author: Elise Kova
Page Count: 378
Librarian turned sorcerer. Sorcerer turned hero. Hero turned puppet.
The Solaris Empire found victory in the North and, at the cost of her heart and her innocence, Vhalla Yarl has earned her freedom. But the true fight is only beginning as the secret forces that have been lurking in the shadows, tugging at the strings of Vhalla’s fate, finally come to light. Nowhere is safe, and Vhalla must tread carefully or else she’ll fall into the waiting arms of her greatest foe. Or former lover.
You can add Water’s Wrath to your Goodreads here!
About the Author:
Elise Kova has always had a passion for storytelling. She wrote her first novella, a high-fantasy, in sixth grade. Over the years she’s honed her love of literature with everything from fantasy to romance, science fiction to mystery, and whatever else catches her eye.
Elise lives in Saint Petersburg, Florida, where she’s currently working on the next installment in her debut YA fantasy series: Air Awakens. She enjoys video games, anime, table-top role playing games, and many other forms of “geekdom.” She loves talking with fans on Twitter (@EliseKova) and Facebook (/AuthorEliseKova).
I would like to start off by saying I received this book from the author for an honest review!
Elise Kova has done it again! Just when I start to think I found a new favorite book in the Air Awakens series she delivers another great book that goes beyond the previous stories. From the moment I started reading Water’s Wrath I couldn’t stop. The only reason I did not read this book in one night is because I started late and had an early class the next morning.
So let us just jump into a few points that I really enjoyed throughout this book:
- The Setting. One of my favorite parts of reading a fantasy novel is getting to experience a setting I’m not used to. Elise has a way of describing the world the characters live in that makes the readers feel like they are a part of it. I could picture every building, hear every sound, smell the aromas of the places we get to visit. For a brief moment I was no longer in my bed reading a book. I was in the Palace, at the Crossroads, and every where else we get to visit (no spoilers!) and enjoying every minute of it!
- Character Development. I know I have probably pointed this out in every review, but once again we get a new depth to the characters. We get new stories from some of our favorites, see a new side to them that was not seen before. I love that even though we have been with some of these characters for four books now, there is still secrets left to discover. Never assume you know someone in this story, because chances are you still only know the surface of who they truly are. We also get to see a bit more about some of the characters we have only briefly met in previous books. Of course, all of these new details means more twists and turns along the way!
- Sad Moments. This may be a weird point to say that I loved painful moments in a story, but if you can honestly say something has broken your heart while reading, you know it’s a good story. Elise has a way that she can craft a story that will make you laugh and cry within a 2 page time. Not everything that happens in this series is a rainbow-and-fluffy- puppies kinda moment. We have devastating, I need to take a moment to collect my feelings off the floor, scenes. Although there are many of those moments in the series, I feel like this book had more emotional moments than the other books. Not knowing what may happen with the story or our favorite characters is what makes reading the Air Awakens series so enjoyable. Even if it does break my heart into pieces over and over.
- Plot. The characters alone in this series fascinate me and keeps me reading, but the plot is not something that should be missed. This story is a complex collection of all the things I enjoy in a great story: Romance, Politics, War, Action, Fantasy, Magic, and Unpredictability. I have yet to figure out where the story is heading, and when I think I have found the path leading to an answer Elise throws in some new obstacles and I’m lost all over again. This is one of those series that keeps me guessing and at the edge of my seat the entire time. Even after I finish a book my head is spinning with thoughts of what just happened in the book and what to look forward to. There are so many different ways this story can play out and I can’t wait to see how book 5 will wrap everything up!
- The Cover. I know you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover, but the cover intrigued me. Before I saw the cover for the last book I would have said this one was my favorite out of the series. I loved the blue color and the look of it. Not to mention the mysterious guy with Vhalla. It was fun to see all the guesses fans of the series were making of who the guy on the cover would turn out to be. I had my own thoughts going in, but sadly I was wrong. Once you finish reading this book you see the cover with new eyes. I still think this is one of my favorite covers though!
- The Ending. I can’t say too much here because I would hate to spoil the fun for those who have not read it yet. However, I will say the ending to this book was by far one of my favorite endings!
This would be the part of the review that I mention what I didn’t like in the story, but I actually have no complaints or dislikes. This was a fantastic read and I am impatiently waiting for the last book to release! The exciting ride that is the Air Awakens series is almost over and although it’s sad to think of this series ending, I am excited to see how it all turns out. Water’s Wrath is a great addition to the series and if you have read it, I hope you enjoyed it as well! If you haven’t read this book yet, prepare for your heart to be broken in the best way.
I give this book 5 out of 5 hearts!