This is the third book in the Air Awakens series by Elise Kova. I do not plan on saying anything that could be major spoilers, but there may be a few minor spoilers if you have not read the other two books. If you would like to know more about Air Awakens you can check out my review here. Check here for my review on Fire Falling.
Title: Earth’s End: Book Three of Air Awakens
Author: Elise Kova
Publisher: Silver Wings Press
Publication Date: February 11th, 2016
A woman awoken in air, a soldier forged by fire, a weapon risen from blood.
Vhalla Yarl has made it to the warfront in the North. Forged by blood and fire, she has steeled her heart for the final battle of the Solaris Empire’s conquest. The choices before Vhalla are no longer servitude or freedom, they are servitude or death. The stakes have never been higher as the Emperor maintains his iron grip on her fate, holding everything Vhalla still has left to lose in the balance.
About the Author:
Elise Kova has always had a passion for storytelling. She wrote her first novella, a high-fantasy, in sixth grade. Over the years she’s honed her love of literature with everything from fantasy to romance, science fiction to mystery, and whatever else catches her eye.
Elise lives in Saint Petersburg, Florida, where she’s currently working on the next installment in her debut YA fantasy series: Air Awakens. She enjoys video games, anime, table-top role playing games, and many other forms of “geekdom.” She loves talking with fans on Twitter (@EliseKova) and Facebook (/AuthorEliseKova).
*Adds book to favorite read of 2016*
There are those special moments when a reader finds an amazing series that gets better with every book. Reading Air Awakens has been that moment for me!
I loved Air Awakens deeply and then was blown away by Fire Falling. Each book keeps getting better and better! Going into Earth’s End I mainly was just dying to know what happened after the cliff hanger Elise left us with in Fire Falling. I can’t express how happy I am that we didn’t have to wait a whole year to find out what happens next! Thankfully Elise spared us readers by creating an amazing feature called Tales from the Front. She gave us different parts of the story in other characters’ POV. It was so much fun to read as we waited for Earth’s End release.
I devoured this book in one day. Once I started the first page I had plans to stop after a few chapters in so I could actually get some rest. That didn’t happen. I ended up staying awake until almost 5 in the morning to finish! Once again I found myself wrapped up by the magic that is Elise’s writing. My emotions went on a rollercoaster ride as I read, and I was afraid what would happen next but couldn’t stop reading!
There was little doubt I would enjoy Earth’s End, however I have to admit I did not expect to enjoy it more than the others. If I’m going to be honest I would probably say this book is currently in a tie with Air Awakens for my favorite.
Now that I gave a little of my general thoughts, let me go in a little more detail of what I liked and didn’t like.
What I Liked:
- No Wait! Being left on a cliff hanger at the end of Fire Falling I was ready to find out what happens next! I’m so glad we get the answer right away instead of several chapters later. The beginning was a terrific start!
- Character growth! I know I mentioned this in my other reviews, but let me just add it once again. Each book has showed the characters in different ways. Especially with Vhalla. When it comes to Vhalla, each book is like getting a new character with her. She begins one way but with her experiences through the stories, both good and bad, her character begins to reach new levels. She is no longer this shy little Library Apprentice, she is a soldier. The other characters have moments of growth as well but Vhalla’s is the most noticeable in my eyes. We also get a better view of the character Eleica which I hated at first but now like.
- Jax Wendyll! When I heard about Jax at the beginning of Earth’s End I was prepared to meet some strict, always follow the rules, stick-in-the-mud kind of guy. THIS IS NOT JAX! From the first page with him I feel in love with him. He is a bag of crazy, in a good way, and every line he had was pretty much gold. He is that sassy fun character that always brings a bit of humor to a darker story. There is actually an Interview with his character on the wonderful Beyond the Book Review! If you haven’t read Earth’s End and want to know a bit about Jax without getting spoiled just read the interview!
- The Emotions! Nothing is worse than reading a book and have no feelings while you read it. I can tell you now Earth’s End is not that kind of book. While reading I didn’t know if I wanted to laugh, cry, cheer, yell or a combination of all the feels. There was so much that went on in the book that played at the reader’s emotions. You could be happy and smiling in one sentence but by the end of the chapter be crying and trying to wrap yourself up like a burrito for comfort. My heart still aches a little because of some moments in Earth’s End.
- Relationships! When I say relationships I’m not just talking about romantic ones. In Earth’s End we get to see a better picture of the Royal family’s relationship. Especially between Baldair and Aldrik. We also get to view a bit of the relationship between the members of the Golden Guard and The Black Legion. Not to mention Vhalla’s relationship with several other characters in the stories. And of course all the Vhaldrik scenes! *swoons*
- An Ugly War! Many times in books authors try to make the idea of war not as unpleasant as it really is. War is a terrible and heartbreaking thing. Elise writes the scenes about war in a way that captures the picture with all the problems. We see the way deaths affect those around them, and also how even innocent people get caught up in the fighting. There were moments that will tug at your heart in a beautiful yet terrible way.
- The Magic! So much love for the use of the Elements in this story! I love getting to see new ways the characters use their abilities. Especially how much Vhalla has learned throughout the books.
Now that I gave you most of what I enjoyed about Earth’s End, let me give you some of the bad.
What I didn’t Like:
- It Stopped! Basically I was heartbroken the story ended before I was ready for it to. I was ready to read so much more!!!!
I honestly have no complaints about this book. I tried to rack my brain for one little something, but other than saying I didn’t like the horrible character meant to be hated, I have nothing. I usually can find at least one or two things I didn’t care for in a story, but for this one my brain is drawing a blank.
I can’t wait for the next book in the series! So much happened in Earth’s End I can’t wait to see what is going to happen now. So many new questions are in my mind and I know the story is just going to get even more exciting. I NEED THE NEXT BOOK NOW!!
Overall I will give this story 5 out of 5 hearts!
If you haven’t read the Air Awakens series I highly recommend it! If you have read it and would like to talk about it please stop by my Twitter and chat with me! (@BetweenDPages)